Reflections of the Early Stages

Well, my project got “off the ground” so to speak on Monday. Jim and I spent the first full period introducing the project, showing sample videos, and exploring the Just Drive! Canada website. We looked at last years winners and realized that this is something that is definitely within reach for our talented, enthusiastic group of Grade 10’s!

For some reason, I always have a bit of nerves when I introduce Project Based Learning– it seems like there is so much information to share, and there is such a delicate balance between giving students all of the information they need and not totally overwhelming them. I try to remind myself that students will figure things out as they go, and they are capable of great things without me directing them every step of the way. Jim helped to remind me of that. Essentially, I need to become more comfortable with relinquishing “control” over when and how students learn. I need to embrace the notion that students do not have to be taught to learn- something that I agree with wholeheartedly.

My reflections on the challenges of PBL relate closely to our session with Sylvia Martinez on “Invent to Learn- Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom”. Sylvia is an active promoter of the importance of play and “tinkering” in learning, and her background in Science and Engineering was obvious as she maneuvered her way through various demonstrations with ease. Sylvia shares her “Thoughts about empowering students through technology” on her Generation YES Blog. There were three statements that Sylvia made that really stuck with me. They were:

the importance of having students work to solve problems vs just giving them ready made knowledge

– that learning occurs when a new experience makes connections to existing knowledge

– to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone if it can help a student’s learning experience; i.e. a teacher’s anxiety should not be a barrier to student’s learning

Sylvia also shared with us some “cool” tools that can be used to support the message behind invent to learn. She demonstrated both Makey Makey and Sparkfun Inventors Kit. Watching Sylvia confidently demonstrates the wonders of these things, I went back and forth between being totally in awe and being totally overwhelmed! As someone who has never been “into” tinkering and inventing things, this type of learning leaves me looking for the “right answer”. However, as she was playing with these amazing learning tools, I could see their potential in the classroom. I could pick out students from each of my classes who would totally excel at the type of learning Sylvia was showing. I must admit, I felt a bit sad as I realized that I do not give enough opportunities for making, tinkering, and engineering in my classroom. But, there is no time like the present, and it is never too late to try something new. One of my goals for this school year is to step out of comfort zone, ensuring that my anxiety doesn’t interfere with the learning opportunities of my students.

Are there things you shy away from because of your comfort level?

Are you always willing to try new things, or do you tend to stick with the tried and true?

4 thoughts on “Reflections of the Early Stages

1. Heidi – I hope the first week of the project went well! I agree that it can be hard to move outside of your comfort zone, but it’s also incredibly necessary! I try to push myself in my teaching whenever possible – my undergrads (pre-service teachers) are blogging in class for the first time (not the first time I’ve used blogging with undergrads, but it’s the first time in this particular course, which deals with some potentially controversial topics), and while there’s been a bit of a learning curve for all of us, I think we’re moving in the right direction and I’ve already got many ideas for how to improve it the next time around!

• You are so right Katia! I think we are doing a real disservice to our students if we never go beyond our comfort zone and really test the boundaries of where we feel most comfortable. There is no more satisfying feeling than really “putting yourself out there” and having a very successful experience. That being said, we need to realize that failure is part of the life experience, and it too can be a great learning tool. I think that the best teachers are always changing what they do and how they do it to best suit their students needs. Thanks for your feedback!

2. Stepping out of my comfort zone can definitely be hard, but you do bring up a good point about addressing the different learning styles of all students. I personally find it more interesting to try new things with students each year, even if it requires extra learning on my part. However, it does need to be manageable – changing too many things at once is overwhelming.

• I am with you Dean- I am constantly changing things up and trying new things. It is part of being a good teacher- trying to always be better and learn new things.
      On a side note, are you related to Lyle Benko?